Getting a list of machines in a domain

Paul N paul.nuffer at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 19:26:44 UTC 2007

On 9/26/07, Anthony <admin.cluster at gmail.com> wrote:
> i want to know how i can get the list of all the machines listed in my
> dns server?!

If I'm not mistaken, you're requesting a zone transfer.

dig may be of assistance. From the man page:
       "The -t option sets the query type to type. It can be any valid query
       type which is supported in BIND9. The default query type "A", unless
       the -x option is supplied to indicate a reverse lookup. A zone transfer
       can be requested by specifying a type of AXFR. ..."

`dig -t AXFR site.tld`, but only if the DNS server is set up to allow
zone transfers.

`host -l` can apparently help out, too. Check out the man pages for
both, since I've not had an opportunity to use them in this context. I
think the easiest way to see what's there may be to ask your DNS
admin.

Paul