RHEL 5 YUM

Saurabh Bathe sbathe at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 11:54:35 UTC 2008

Sachin Sharma wrote:
>  Hi,
>
> I am new to RHEL 5  and facing my first problem with YUM. I can't install
> nagios rhel 5 rpm with yum. However with rhel 4 i can easily do this with #
> up2date nagios.  I have tried following commands
>

> #  yum list *nagios*
>
> #  yum list all | grep -i nagios
>
> # yum provides nagios

Well, Nagios is not something that is provided by RHN.
The simplest way I can suggest is to configure Extra Packages for
Enterprise Linux (EPEL) repository. That will provide you with Nagios
and a bunch of plugins. Then you can use yum to install that.
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL/FAQ#howtouse

Not sure how you were able to install that on RHEL4 via up2date cause
again RHN has never provided that.

--Saurabh