Starting services the right way.

Joshua Daniel Franklin jdf.lists at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 01:35:10 UTC 2008

On 1/6/08, Matt Joyce wrote:
> I've inherited a RHEL4 system which runs an application using PostgreSQL and
> Tomcat.
> The problem is when the server starts, someone has to login, su as a
> specific user and start the java application.

If you're not already, I'd recommend using JPackage RPMs. You may
even want to add the "Red Hat Developer Suite v.3 for RHEL4" channel
in RHN which includes JPackage tomcat5 (5.0 IIRC). Then put your
webapps in /var/lib/tomcat5/webapps/ and you're ready to go.

If you don't already have it, you need to first install java-1.5.0-sun-devel
or another RPM with proper Provides (from Red Hat Extras channel or
build your own).

Alternatively you can write a shell script that uses runuser to switch
to the proper user.