performance monitoring and tuning class recommendations?

Tim Mooney Tim.Mooney at ndsu.edu
Fri Jan 25 23:49:32 UTC 2008

All-

I checked the archives for the past 18 months and didn't see anything
related to this, so I thought I would ask for some help.

I'm looking for any recommendations people have for good classes/training
for Linux performance monitoring and tuning.  A couple different companies
appear to offer a RH442 "Enterprise System Monitoring and Performance
Tuning" class.  Does anyone on the list have experience with that class?
It looks like Red Hat uses Unitek, but I see there is a least one other
company (Netwind Learning Center) that's also offering the same course.
Are either of those companies recommended (or to be avoided)?  Anyone
have a particularly positive experience with an instructor for that class,
so that I should try get the same instructor?

We have mainly RHEL here, a little 2.1 remaining but mostly 3-5 at this
point, so it's fine if the class is tailored toward Red Hat -- it's not
a requirement, though.  If there's another class out there that would be
better, I would love to know about it.

I'm not an RHCE, but I have 17 years of experience managing UNIX systems,
and a few years of experience managing Red Hat systems in a production
environment.  There are plenty of areas in system administration where
I'm strong, but I've never been particularly strong in the performance
monitoring and tuning area, and I would like to change that.

I'm also toying with the idea of going for RHD236 "Kernel Internals"
instead, since I'm a casual though comfortable C programmer, and a deeper
understanding of the Linux kernel would certainly be beneficial for
performance monitoring.

Feedback and recommendations would be much appreciated,

Tim
Tim Mooney                                        Tim.Mooney at ndsu.edu
Information Technology Services                   (701) 231-1076 (Voice)
Room 242-J6, IACC Building                        (701) 231-8541 (Fax)