securing RHEL 5.x in a university lab setting

Bashi, Enils Enils.Bashi at FTIConsulting.com
Wed Jul 9 16:41:27 UTC 2008

Tim,

Once you give someone physical access to a box, the sky is the limit, unless
you're boxes will have full disk encryption. Savvy users will always find
ways to bypass your security controls. The question is, what is your risk
tolerance? The answer that question should drive the effort you will put
into securing those workstations.  That said, here are a couple of guides I
have used in our corporate environment to secure RHEL servers:

http://www.nsa.gov/snac/os/redhat/rhel5-guide-i731.pdf

http://www.cisecurity.org/tools2/linux/CIS_RHEL5_Benchmark_v1.1.pdf

If you have the option, my suggestion would be to run Xen virtual machines
and save a vanilla snapshot with all your desired settings. Let your
students do pretty much whatever they want and restart the workstations
every time someone logs off, in order to restore the vanilla snapshot every
time. This will give you the most secure option in my opinion.

Regards,

Enils Bashi, RHCE, CISSP
Sr. Security Engineer\Information Technology Group

F T I
410.571.7003 direct

906 Commerce Road
Annapolis, MD 21401
www.fticonsulting.com

Confidentiality Notice:
This email and any attachments may be confidential and protected by legal
privilege. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any
disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the e-mail or any attachment is
prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please notify us
immediately by replying to the sender and then delete this copy and the
reply from your system. Thank you for your cooperation.