INIT: Id "x" respawning too fast

Junhao redhat at jmarki.net
Tue May 6 21:04:48 UTC 2008

Hannibal S. Jackson wrote:
> Rebooted HP ML370 (Red Hat WS3) and then it came back with the error
> INIT: Id "x" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes. I've searched
> and searched and have not been able to find a viable solution. I've read
> RH's Knowledge base and they stated it was related to the graphic card
> settings. Problem is I can not log in to make those changes. I've tried
> to boot into single user mode, run level 3, but nothing has worked thus
> far. It comes back to the login prompt but as soon as I try to log in it
> goes right back to the login screen never asking me for a password. I've
> read it could also be an issue in the inittab file but I can't log on to
> view that or make any changes. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
> Getting that error but still can not log in at the console to make any
> adjustments because the password prompt never comes back. Also, I've
> noticed even when I try to tell it to boot the kernel into run level 3,
> it still goes back to 5.

1) password prompt:
Are you able login, then immediately go to init 1? Init 1 is single user
mode. If not you can try booting from a livecd. Then mount the harddisk
(assembling raid if needed), and edit /etc/inittab to boot to runlevel 3
(or 1).

2) X spawning too fast is often due to an X misconfiguration, or missing
graphics card drivers. Check /var/log/Xorg.0.log. Checking X
configuration can be directly done using "startx", and
"Ctrl-Alt-Backspace" to kill X if needed.

Hope that helps. =)

Regards,
Junhao