INIT: Id "x" respawning too fast

Junhao redhat at jmarki.net
Tue May 6 22:09:30 UTC 2008

Hannibal S. Jackson wrote:
> [...]

Same here for Solaris experience, tripping everywhere when I'm doing
Solaris...

The /etc/inittab change should be
<snip>
# Default runlevel. The runlevels used by RHS are:
#   0 - halt (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
#   1 - Single user mode
#   2 - Multiuser, without NFS (The same as 3, if you do not have
networking)
#   3 - Full multiuser mode
#   4 - unused
#   5 - X11
#   6 - reboot (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
#
id:3:initdefault:
#id:5:initdefault:
</snip>

This is taken from RHEL5.1, don't think there are much changes to this
file. Please correct me if I'm wrong though.

Anyway, I thought /etc/nsswitch.conf should be "passwd files ldap" and
"group files ldap", just in case ldap is not available?

The PAM configuration files is at /etc/pam.d/*. You may need to revert
kdm, passwd, other, login and maybe some others. Quite like a fragmented
/etc/pam.conf from Solaris 10. Don't think PAM is related to the X
respawning issue though.

Regards,
Junhao