RHEL 5 - chmod 777

Lopez, Denise dlopez at humnet.ucla.edu
Thu Apr 23 22:05:22 UTC 2009

Hi all,

I have a quick question.  One of my programmers is trying to get his
program working by chmod 777 directories.  On my RHEL 4 server the
program is working but on the RHEL 5 server when I do a ls -alh of the
directory, it is highlighted and the permissions are 777.

Does anyone know what the highlighting means?

P.S. I know about the security risk of chmod 777.  Does anyone know of a
way to allow a group of users and apache to write to a directory and all
directories underneath it.

I have umask of 002 permission on directory are 2775 and user is apache
with group www.
Thanks in advance.

Denise Lopez
UCLA - Center for Digital Humanities