How to create a virtual IP/hostname for a 2 nodes cluster

crypto grid cryptogrid at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 21:52:11 UTC 2009

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 10:14 AM, Herta Van den Eynde <
herta.vandeneynde at gmail.com> wrote:

> As this is only a two node cluster, why would you add a load balancer?

AFAIK, LVS is, indeed a load balancer. There is no way you can run an a-a
service in the cluster without a balanced ip.

> LVS will give you a unique ip-address per service that you are running in
> the cluster.  I.e. in your case, you'll get 2 fixed ip-addresses (one for
> each server) and three virtual addresses (one for each service).
> When one of the servers goes down, the services (including the virtual
> addresses) running on that server will automatically migrate to the other
> server.

I saw some customers who didn't want to install red hat lvs in their
clusters. Instead, they insisted to use external loadbalancers, and
personally, I have no objection with that, because in some way, you are
taking some "complexity" out of the servers.
Sorry for going off at a tangent.