System-config-printer : client-error-not-possible when add a samba printer

Thierry Leurent thierry.leurent at asgardian.be
Tue Feb 10 10:28:29 UTC 2009

Hello,

I'm configuring a new RHEL 5.2 system and I have a trouble when I try to
add a Windows printer through Samba.

My Samba/Cups server is in my Windows Domain but I don't use AD to manage
my Linux's users. I want use a printer shared by a Windows Desktop.

I make this tests :
- A wbinfo -m give me Windows Domain name.
- A wbinfo -u give me the list of all users of the domain.
- A wbinfo -g give me the list of all groups of the domain.
- A wbinfo -a MyWindowsDomain+MyUser%@ThePassword (@ is a the first
character of the password) give me "plaintext password authentication
succeeded, challenge/response password authentication succeeded"
- A smbclient -L //TheDesktop -U MyUser give me
Password:
Domain=[MyWindowsDomain] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]

        Sharename       Type      Comment
        ---------       ----      -------
        SharedPrinter   Printer   hp LaserJet 1300 PS
        IPC$            IPC       Remote IPC
        print$          Disk      Printer Drivers
        ADMIN$          Disk      Remote Admin
        C$              Disk      Default share
Domain=[MyWindowsDomain] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]

        Server               Comment
        ---------            -------

        Workgroup            Master
        ---------            -------

When I try to configure this printer with System-config-printer 0.7.32.10,
I can test my user/password on the second screen. But at the end when I
will make an apply, I hev a cups server error :
"client-error-not-possible"

When I go to the cups' erro.log, I see
D [10/Feb/2009:10:19:03 +0100] CUPS-Add-Modify-Printer
client-error-not-possible: Bad device-uri
"smb://MyUser:@ThePassword@/192.168.1.20/SharedPrinter"!
D [10/Feb/2009:10:19:03 +0100] cupsdProcessIPPRequest: 8 status_code=404
(client-error-not-possible)
D [10/Feb/2009:10:19:03 +0100] Report: clients=1

The second @ is added by System-config-printer or cups.

What can I do ?

--
Thierry Leurent