sendmail.cf -vs- sendmail.mc

Jay Jones jay.jones at pcc.edu
Thu Feb 19 20:46:58 UTC 2009

In message <97A5A268-7116-47F1-BFB1-81205650EEF5 at unh.edu>,
Joe Kazura <joe.kazura at unh.edu> writes:

>   I'm migrating an ANCIENT Red Hat 7.3 box to a brand new Dell blade server
>   w/RHEL 5.
>   On the old server, sendmail.cf was hand coded and there are no sendmail.mc
>   files at all.
>   Is there such a tool that will reverse engineer the .cf to a .mc ?
>   I'd rather NOT have to learn native sendmail!

        There's no such tool that I'm aware of, and given the
ancient version you're moving from, it might not help you much.

        The RHEL Deployment Guide has some basic information
regarding Sendmail, including how to use the m4 processor
to generate the .cf file(s). If you intend to work with the
RHEL-bundled Sendmail, it's a good idea to have the sendmail-cf,
sendmail-doc and sendmail-devel packages installed. The /etc/mail
directory should have .rpmnew versions of various files to help
you get started.

        It's also a good idea to have a summary of your
environment's requirements, including where and how mail should
be routed and delivered, before you start.

						- Jay
--
``What hath night to do with sleep?    John Milton,     Perth----v
  Night hath better sweets to prove.''    1634.                T`*---+')