System-config-printer and samba shared printers

Thierry Leurent thierry.leurent at asgardian.be
Wed Jul 8 11:32:08 UTC 2009

Hello,

We have have Windows desktops with locals printers (shared) connected with
usb. We use a centralized application, running on Linux.
When a user print a document, the system send it on his local printer.

To do this, we use a Linux server integrated in the Windows 2003 domain
with cups and samba. We define the printers in cups as "samba windows
shared", the application make the link between the user and the printer.

We have a little trouble when we want define a new printer, using
System-config-printer version 0.7.32.10, we can't see the printers shared
by a host(it's the same with smbclient).
One solution is create an AD's user named root and set the same password
as root in Linux.
I don't like to use root for this job. Root is an high level right user,
root is not a Windows user, root must be used by a human, I see root as a
local administrator on the Linux servers. and I must change the password
in the both side.
I would like use a technical user.

Do you have an idea for me ?

Thanks