Semi-OT: Opteron CPU upgrades

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Mon Jun 1 18:55:21 UTC 2009

I have a couple of servers that are a few years old.  They each have a
pair of Opteron 240 CPUs (Socket 940).  I'd like to put faster CPUs in
them, and I see dual-core Socket 940 Opterons, but I can't find anything
that says definatively if they'll work (one way or the other).

I have seen some CPU upgrades that need a BIOS upgrade to match.  If the
BIOS isn't updated, would Linux be able see the extended features of the
newer CPUs (dual-core, hardware virtualization extensions, etc.)?

The motherboards are Rioworks HDAMA (and of course Rioworks sold off the
motherboard business).
--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>