RHEL Partitioining Scheme (UNCLASSIFIED)

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Fri May 8 23:17:40 UTC 2009

On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 2:53 PM, Johnson, Kenyetta A Mrs CIV USA
NETCOM/9TH SC A <Kenyetta.Johnson at us.army.mil> wrote:
> Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED
> Caveats: NONE
>
> Hi Linux Gurus,
>
> I'm installing RHEL v5.2 on a virtual machine with 1GB RAM and 50GB
> storage.
> The image will be used to install a kickstart server to be used for
> building systems to support network operation COTS applications.  I
> would like some feedback regarding designing a RHEL partitioning scheme.
> I've identified the following partitions: /, /boot /home, /opt (netops
> apps), /usr /usr/local, /var, and /tmp.
> I receive the following message:
>
> "Your selected packages require 1411 MB of free space for installation,
> but you do not have enough available.  You can change your selections or
> reboot."

 As Mr Brimer pointed out you need a larger /usr partition. You may
also need a /var/tmp partition to meet STIG compliance (I think that
is a recommendation but could be confusing standards.) Depending on
the COTS you would then set /var/tmp and /tmp to be mounted with the
nodev,nosuid,noexe options so that they are just write space.

--
Stephen J Smoogen. -- BSD/GNU/Linux