Upgrade from RHEL 4.6 to 5.1 errors

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Fri May 15 13:22:29 UTC 2009

Once upon a time, Chris Henderson <henders254 at gmail.com> said:
> On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 1:44 PM, Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net> wrote:
> > That's not an error.  To use the crash dump functionality, you have to
> > add an option to the kernel boot command line that reserves some RAM for
> > the crash kernel.  That message is just telling you that you didn't do
> > that so there can be no crash kernel loaded.
>
> Ah, but I didn't have this message before the upgrade. Do you know
> what do I need to do to make this message disappear?

You didn't have it before because RHEL 4 didn't support a separate crash
kernel at all.

It is not an error; you cannot make it disappear.  The only thing you
can do to change it is to configure a crash dump kernel (which reserves
a chunk of RAM just in case the system crashes).
--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>