security PCI

James Olin Oden james.oden at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 18:35:11 UTC 2009

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 1:24 PM, Pennington, John
<penningt at uchastings.edu> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I’m a little new to redhat so I apologize if this question is a bit basic.
> We are doing some PCI auditing on one of our machines that is running
>  Redhat 5.4, and the scan found a few apache vulnerabilities.  CVE-2009-0023
> for example were on the list.
>
> When I go to the redhat website and look for that vulnerability it says it
> is fixed in redhat 5 and provides a link to a page that shows: apr-util
> security update Advisory: RHSA-2009:1107-1.
>
> My question is, what command do I use to  verify that the RHSA-2009-1107-1
> security update has been applied to my system?

These advisories should list the rpms that need to be applied to get
the update.   You then just get the versions of the rpms listed in the
advisory via:

    rpm -q $rpmName

If it is equal to or greater than the version in the advisory then your good.

Note, since your a newbie to RedHat, I'll mention that rpms have two
version attributes (actually 3 but only two are visible in the name),
this would be the VERSION and RELEASE.  Most rpm's are named like:

    $NAME-$VERSION-$RELEASE.$ARCH.rpm

Note $NAME can have -'s in it, so you have to scan backwards if your
scanning for the release and version.

Cheers...james