16-disk SW RAID-6 on RHEL?

Peter Ruprecht ruprech at jilau1.colorado.edu
Tue Aug 10 14:33:47 UTC 2010

Hi everyone,

I could use a little advice.  I'm considering setting up a 16-disk
software RAID-6 system for use as a samba fileserver.  The disks would
be 2TB SATA in an external enclosure attached via SAS to the server
(RHEL5, 2x Xeon E5420 processors with 4 cores, 16 GB RAM).

I have done software RAID-5 with 6 disks and gotten satisfactory
performance, but has anyone else tried SW RAID on a bigger scale?  Would
that just be nuts?

So why not just buy a HW RAID system?  Well, in this case cost is a big
issue.  Also, in the past I've had some issues with RAID controllers
freaking out leaving all the data inaccessible, which I think is less
likely with SW RAID.

Finally, is there a reasonable RH-compatible alternative to xfs for a
16TB+ filesystem?  Or is xfs now less iffy than it was a few years ago?

Thanks in advance,
Peter Ruprecht