16-disk SW RAID-6 on RHEL?

Trevor Hemsley trevor.hemsley at codefarm.com
Tue Aug 10 19:43:37 UTC 2010

Be aware that RHEL5.5 still has this bug.

http://www.issociate.de/board/post/455533/RAID6_mdadm_--grow_bug?.html

Peter Ruprecht wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I could use a little advice. I'm considering setting up a 16-disk
> software RAID-6 system for use as a samba fileserver. The disks would
> be 2TB SATA in an external enclosure attached via SAS to the server
> (RHEL5, 2x Xeon E5420 processors with 4 cores, 16 GB RAM).
>
> I have done software RAID-5 with 6 disks and gotten satisfactory
> performance, but has anyone else tried SW RAID on a bigger scale?
> Would that just be nuts?
>
> So why not just buy a HW RAID system? Well, in this case cost is a big
> issue. Also, in the past I've had some issues with RAID controllers
> freaking out leaving all the data inaccessible, which I think is less
> likely with SW RAID.
>
> Finally, is there a reasonable RH-compatible alternative to xfs for a
> 16TB+ filesystem? Or is xfs now less iffy than it was a few years ago?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Peter Ruprecht
>
> --

Trevor Hemsley
Infrastructure Engineer
* C A L Y P S O
* 4th Floor, Tower Point,
44 North Road,
Brighton, BN1 1YR, UK

OFFICE 	+44 (0) 1273 666 350
FAX 	+44 (0) 1273 666 351

www.calypso.com

This electronic-mail might contain confidential information intended
only for the use by the entity named. If the reader of this message is
not the intended recipient, the reader is hereby notified that any
dissemination, distribution or copying is strictly prohibited.

* P * /*/ Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail /*/