MD5 Differences in same version of /bin/bash

Jonathan S Billings jsbillin at umich.edu
Tue Dec 7 14:25:11 UTC 2010

On 12/07/2010 08:38 AM, Hearn, Stan J. wrote:
> What am I missing here?
>
> I'm finding that /bin/bash is identical in every way (size, date
> stamp, version) on two identical systems except for the MD5 checksum.
> How is this possible?

Do you have prelink installed and enabled?  By default, I believe that
it's run with -R, which randomizes the address space to protect the
executable from certain kinds of exploits.

Check out the man page for 'prelink' for more details, or read the
Wikipedia page:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prelink

--
Jonathan Billings <jsbillin at umich.edu>
College of Engineering - CAEN - Unix and Linux Support