Kudzu Question

Hearn, Stan J. stan.hearn at nscorp.com
Tue Jan 26 15:54:45 UTC 2010

I have a need to distribute RHEL on compact flash cards to remote systems.

My challenge is the kudzu prompt when booting a system.  kudzu sees new NIC's and of course prompts the user to remove the old and configure the new.  If this choice is not made, it times out.  But it will prompt every time the system is booted and delay the boot time.  All NIC's on these systems will have the same configurations (IP, gateway, netmask).

I think it is okay to remove kudzu on boot, but then the file /etc/sysconfig/hwconf will not list the accurate MAC address of the current NIC.  How bad of a problem is that?  The NIC plumbs fine as long as ifcfg-ethX doesn't contain the MAC in it.

Can anyone point me to some documentation on how to properly handle this situation or give me some words of caution or further examination?

Thanks,
Stan