Configuring RHEL servers to authenticate with Windows Server 2008 Active Directory

Bashi, Enils Enils.Bashi at FTIConsulting.com
Tue Jan 26 16:30:54 UTC 2010

I would use a software called likewise-open from likewise.com. It takes 5
minutes to install and setup. Avoids headaches of having to deal with ldap
and samba configurations. There is a free version that works great, if
authentication is the only thing you're looking for. If you need uid/gid
mapping between Linux and Windows you might have to go with their enterprise
version. I've used it on Ubuntu and Fedora successfully. I suspect it works
just as well on RHEL.

Regards,

Enils

-----Original Message-----
From: redhat-sysadmin-list-bounces at redhat.com
[mailto:redhat-sysadmin-list-bounces at redhat.com] On Behalf Of Kenneth Holter
Sent: Tuesday, January 26, 2010 11:15 AM
To: redhat-sysadmin-list at redhat.com
Subject: Configuring RHEL servers to authenticate with Windows Server 2008
Active Directory

Hello all.

I'd like to set my RHEL 4 and 5 servers up to authenticate with our Windows
server 2008 Active Directory. Using "authconfig --update --enableldap
--enableldapauth --ldapserver=ldap.example.com
--ldapbasedn=dn=example,dn=com" and adding "binddn" and "bindpw" to the
/etc/ldap.conf file, it looks like the linux box is connecting correctly to
the AD server. But running "getent passwd <some-linux-user-defined-on-AD>"
doesn't return any result.

I'm suspecting that maybe it's my nss_ldap attribute mappings that are not
correct. I have no attribute mapping defined, since I would think that there
would be some default mappings that would work. Are there any default
mapping, and in case what are they? Or maybe "authconfig" set up these
mappings automatically? Any advice is appreciated.

Best regards,
Kenneth Holter