Proper management of iptables?

Dmitry Makovey dmitry at athabascau.ca
Tue Mar 8 20:51:02 UTC 2011

Hi everybody,

For quite a while inside of our organization we've been editing
/etc/sysconfig/iptables directly without much issues. However it was suggested
to us that by doing so we risk losing all those rules whenever some package
decides to use lokkit or "system-config-firewal*"

Several different sources suggested that modifying iptables on-the fly (via
CLI) and then saving rules via

$ service iptables save

is a proper technique.

Doing a bit of analysis I can't really find any trace of code that would
prevent us from maintaining iptables just the way we were (as long as *we*
don't use lokkit or system-config-firewall*) since "service iptables save" is
a valid technique and uses iptables-save script which is part of iptables
package and *not* part of system-config-firewall*

So we've got some evidence that may confirm our usage as valid, however it
would be nice to know if indeed this is *not* a recommended way of maintaining
iptables and we should reconsider how we approach it.

--
Dmitry Makovey
Web Systems Administrator