slow "KVM Host" in EL6 ?

Ben bda20 at cam.ac.uk
Thu May 12 21:30:02 UTC 2011

On Thu, 12 May 2011, Dmitry Makovey wrote:

> we have some weird problem with EL6 box which serves as a KVM host for 3
> VMs currently. It shares the same interface with all 3 VMs (same network).
> All works, except from time to time machine behaves very slow in console
> (ok, SSH connection) and it happens only from time to time.
> [...]

It may be unconnected but I have a RHEL6 box which also occasionally has an
issue with slow SSH connection.  By that I mean you type "ssh rhel6host",
the password prompt comes up quickly, but after entering the password and
hitting return there's a palpable delay (sometimes) before the prompt
appears.  Not every time, but often.  Sometimes as long as four to five
seconds.  A RHEL6 KVM guest I installed on it also has the same issue
(sometimes).  I've run ssh with -vvv and sshd with -vvv and not seen
anything untoward.  DNS is on the local LAN and reports no issues either.
All connections are from RHEL5 hosts.  Just somtimes connection is... slow.

Ben
         Life Is Short.          It's All Good.