RHEL6 as a NAS?

david klein root at nachtmaus.us
Sat Nov 19 05:32:33 UTC 2011

You may find that FreeIPA in RHEL 6,2 is a pretty painless way to setup
Kerberos, LDAP and NFSv4, and integrates them nicely. This would allow you
to have the benefits of central authentication and secure filesystem
export.

The big difference between NFS and ISCSI is that NFS exports a filesystem,
while ISCSI exports a raw disk slice or the virtual equivalent thereof.
Both are ready for prime-time, though NFS has had a much longer history, so
it is very mature.

While NFS does not require Kerberos, it benefits *A* *LOT* from a
centralized identity/authentication/authorization.

 -DTK

On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 3:12 PM, Dmitry Makovey <dmitry at athabascau.ca>wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> we're building our mini-NAS in-house appliance based on RHEL6. It's main
> purpose is to provide storage to test/devel servers/VMs. After attending
> LinuxCon in Vancouver it sounds like most places are using NFS as a "quick-
> fix". What I dislike about NFS idea so far is implementation of NFS4
> hinges on
> kerberos availability (and I'd rather not poke there). We were considering
> iSCSI as well, but it sounded like it's not "prime-time ready" (?).
>
> Any other alternatives that are available on RH platform out-of-the-box
> without having to purchase separate license for clustering platform etc.?
> FCoE? Considering it's the test systems we're not too concerned at the
> moment
> about selection, but realistically we'd like to expand that experiment over
> into production one day so working with something fairly stable and
> expandable
> from start would be a bonus.
>
> P.S.
> Saw that RH purchased Gluster. Does it mean we may get gluster as part of
> RHEL
> subscription?
>
> --
> Dmitry Makovey
> Web Systems Administrator
> Athabasca University
> (780) 675-6245
> ---
> Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem
>    Woody Allen
>
> When in trouble when in doubt run in circles scream and shout
>     http://www.wordwizard.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=19330
>
> --

david t. klein

Cisco Certified Network Associate (CSCO11281885)
Linux Professional Institute Certification (LPI000165615)
Redhat Certified Engineer (805009745938860)

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?