RHN problems?

robinprice at gmail.com robinprice at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 17:56:07 UTC 2011

Chris,

The RHN outage that was ongoing yesterday has been resolved.  I have
not run into this issue on any of my RHEL5/6 installs.  This may be
directly related to the following knowledge base:

Operations such as satellite-sync and yum update fail with "503
Service Temporarily Unavailable" error when connecting to RHN hosted
https://access.redhat.com/kb/docs/DOC-52689

Root Cause

    * This is a temporary issue.
    * The error appears when the parent RHN Server
(satellite.rhn.redhat.com) is busy serving too many requests
    * This is seen during a major update release (for e.g RHEL 5.4,
RHEL 4.8 etc)

This may have been the issue you ran into when RHN came back online.
Can you try again now that RHN has been up and running?  If you get
this same message, I would suggest contacting GSS and filing a support
case.
If you do this, please let me know, and I will be happy to follow-up
in the case for you.

~rp