libvirt's "default" (NAT) network is bad?

Dmitry Makovey dmitry at athabascau.ca
Wed Jun 20 21:08:24 UTC 2012

Hi,

I came across this article recently:

http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-kvm-disable-virbr0-nat-interface/

and we are using NAT network for inter-VM communications. Now the box in
question has it's own share of performance problems that we're struggling to
resolve which means I'm not 100% sure our problems stem from above source.
However I was wondering whether claimed performance degradation was *that*
bad? If I do NFS-over-NAT for VM's - would that really kill performance or any
other aspects of setup?

Or to turn the problem on it's head - what would be the most effective (best
performing) way of sharing [N]FS across VMs on the same box. In this
particular case even dom0 is in the mix (i.e. it's a NFS-host serving data to
all VMs over NAT'ed  (actually - private) network).

--
Dmitry Makovey
Web Systems Administrator

When in trouble when in doubt run in circles scream and shout
     http://www.wordwizard.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=19330

---