adding to fstab

Dmitry Makovey dmitry at athabascau.ca
Fri Jan 4 19:44:54 UTC 2013

On 01/04/2013 12:22 PM, Clift, Tom CIV NSWCDD, K55 wrote:

> All, I have created a new partition on a spare drive and want to add it to the fstab. I basically see three(3) different ways to do it. All work but what is the preferred way.
>
> 1. Use Blkid
> 2. Use Label
> 3. Use physical device (/dev/sdb1)
>
> All seem to work fine.Any preference?

judging from recent discussions on Fedora forums and couple of other
places it sounds like preference would be with blkid. However from
experience, during recoveries you'd appreciate something shorter and
concise (like physical device name)... Locating labels for devices when
your system is half-broken was slightly more complicated for me (well,
depending on RHEL release...)

not sure if it helps any...

--
Dmitry Makovey
Web Systems Administrator

When in trouble when in doubt run in circles scream and shout
     http://www.wordwizard.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=19330