[rest-practices] rest-practices purpose

Eoghan Glynn eglynn at redhat.com
Wed Apr 28 16:48:32 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-04-28 at 17:27 +0100, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-04-28 at 08:43 -0400, Bryan Kearney wrote:
> > Intro
> > I will stop harping on this. But I like the idea of "levels" of the API
> > based on the number of principals which you achieve.
>
> Good idea. I suggest two levels - "sucky" and "not sucky"
>
> (Sorry, couldn't resist :-)
>
> I do like the idea, in general - it's a way of saying "I'm 95% RESTful,
> get off my back about the other 5%"
>
> Specifically with our APIs, though, I'm think we should strive for
> HATEOAS

Leonard Richardson has a multi-level maturity model for REST, explained
here[1] by Fowler and described here[2] by the man himself.

Unfortunately though, from our point of view most of the action lies
between levels 2 and 3, so to be really useful we'd need to interpose a
few 2.x levels.

/Eoghan

[1] http://martinfowler.com/articles/richardsonMaturityModel.html
[2] http://www.crummy.com/writing/speaking/2008-QCon/act3.html