[rest-practices] rest-practices purpose

Perry Myers pmyers at redhat.com
Wed Apr 14 18:31:20 UTC 2010

I was asked to create and moderate this list with the following purpose in
mind...

We've got a lot of components in use across Red Hat and the upstream
communities that utilize interfaces like QMF and REST.  It would be a good
thing to have all of the different communities that are producing APIs
communicate together to make sure that these API definitions are
consistent in both style and usage.

This mailing list will focus specifically on best practices for using
REST, since we will be providing either native REST interfaces for many of
our APIs or layering REST on top of other interfaces like QMF.

One other side project is to create a generic QMF<->REST binding in Ruby.
 Bob M. and Ted R. are leading this and can comment further.

Welcome to the list, and if you feel there are others that should
participate please feel free to invite them.  This is an open and external
forum, as we want community observation and involvement as we develop
externally consumable APIs using REST.

To start with, it might be useful for the existing folks on list that are
already creating (have created) REST APIs to provide a little background
context about their specific APIs and links to documentation on them.

Thanks,

Perry