[rest-practices] Read-only fields in a representation type

Bryan Kearney bkearney at redhat.com
Wed Apr 21 15:47:49 UTC 2010

On 04/21/2010 11:17 AM, Bill Burke wrote:

> Bill Burke wrote:
>>>

>> Good point. A resteasy committer has written a jaxrs-javadoc
>> generator. Of course this wouldn't work very well with non-java
>> implementations. Jersey has nice support for WADL. Wouldn't be hurt if
>> you decided to move to it because of WADL. I just don't have the time
>> or will to get into any WADL development/support.

Naw.. I like using our own stuff where we can. I will look at the
javadoc stuff. Would you be opposed to a WADL contribution?

>> While WADL does support the concept of linking and opaque URLs, it
>> doesn't contrain itself. I worry that with WADL you'll get a tighter
>> coupling between client-server that isn't desired.
>>

> BTW, I'm not sure Jersey's WADL support is gonna support automated link
> introspection and you'll still have the "forgetting to update" problem.

I would hope once there is a standardized way to decorating your objects
with possible links, that a tool could say:

"Here are all the links which could exist"

Although for any specific resource, they may not.

-- bk