Re: [rest-practices] Modelling membership

Bryan Kearney wrote:
On 05/04/2010 05:30 PM, Bob McWhirter wrote:
I guess I see the need for both.  I consider an href to be like a C++
pointer to *something. While that thing can certainly (and maybe
absolutely should) have some other identifier.

I don't mean to claim that the href is the identifier. It should be
opaque, potentially ugly, but easily navigable. ID is just another
property, perhaps with uniqueness constraints.

-Bob

I liked what lutter said earlier, which was give dserializers a way to know that they need to go get the further data. Does the existence of

<element href="foo"/>

give you that?

Do you gain anything by using href as the association? If you can't think of anything concrete or real, then my vote is always for simplicity of implementation.

--
Bill Burke
JBoss, a division of Red Hat