Re: [rest-practices] Relative uris

On 05/27/2010 06:49 AM, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
Hi,

For rhevm-api, we're thinking of changing all the links within our
documents to be relative to the entry point URI

So, e.g.

   HEAD /api/ HTTP/1.1
   Host: foobar

   HTTP/1.1 200 OK
   Link:<http://foobar/api/resources; rel=resources

   GET /api/resources/ HTTP/1.1
   Host: foobar

   HTTP/1.1 200 OK

   <resources>
     <resource id="12345" href="/resources/12345">
     </resource>
   </resources>

Rather than including a<base>  element to describe how relative URIs
should be resolved, we're thinking of just saying that the base is
defined to be the entry point URI

We don't think this imposes a big burden on clients, but allows the
resource representations to be a good bit more compact and also means
that URIs within the documents don't need to be generated in a request
specific context

However, for link headers, we're not so keen on going with relative URIs

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Mark.

What happens if you do JSON over a message bus? Are you using the same serialization? That may be an edge case, but I would not want ot have to manage multiple serialiing layers per transprot.

-- bk