[rhelv6-beta-list] beta2 redhat-release rpm broke ?

Jonathan S Billings jsbillin at umich.edu
Fri Jul 2 18:24:23 UTC 2010

On 07/02/2010 02:14 PM, John W. Sopko Jr. wrote:
> We have always used the following rpm command in scripts to get
> the Red Hat release version:
>
> /bin/rpm -q --qf='%{V}\n' redhat-release
>
> This works in RHEL4, RHEL5 and RHEL6 beta1.
>
> I installed RHEL6 beta2 Workstation and there is no redhat-release rpm.
> There is now a "redhat-release-workstation". Do you think this bug
> and they did not mean to change the rpm Name?

I was bit by the same bug when I tried to roll the latest rhel6 beta
into our configuration management.

In the end, I changed the query to:

rpm --qf='%{V}\n' -q --whatprovides redhat-release

... which works for rhel5, rhel6b2 and fedora.

--
Jonathan Billings <jsbillin at umich.edu>
College of Engineering - CAEN - Unix and Linux Support