[rhelv6-beta-list] 32-bit PAE Low Memory

Brian Long brilong at cisco.com
Tue Jul 20 12:49:27 UTC 2010

Can someone point me to a document on how to optimize a machine which is
running the 32-bit PAE kernel with 16GB RAM?

I have such a beast and Low memory is currently as follows:
# grep Low /proc/meminfo
LowTotal:         661304 kB
LowFree:           30052 kB

I'd like to know the proper way to determine what is using Low memory
and how to free it up so the OOM killer doesn't start killing processes.

Worst case, I could remove half the RAM and I'm sure LowTotal would
increase.  I had 48GB RAM in this server and LowTotal was around 256MB.  :(

Unfortunately I've been unable to get a certain 32-bit tool working on
the x86_64 platform and for now I'm stuck running on a 32-bit PAE kernel.

Thanks for any info.

/Brian/
--
       Brian Long                             |       |
       Corporate Security Programs Org    . | | | . | | | .