[rhelv6-beta-list] Does the NFS install with ISO images still work?

Justin Clift justin at salasaga.org
Tue Jun 8 05:11:13 UTC 2010

On 06/08/2010 09:42 AM, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
<snip>
> I also recommend very strongly against the NFS installation approach.

Removing options that offer alternative functionality, and that have
already been working (for years) isn't that good.

Some people like NFS, and for many situations it's very easy to
configure and have running.

NFS also has a *large* amount of development work going into it's
version 4.1 revision, allowing things like parallel NFS (multiple, +
redundant host servers), many optimisations, and security improvements.

Some of this functionality can be done through HTTP.  And HTTP is an
easy solution for people to set up if they're familiar with it.

But, RHEL is an enterprise distribution.  Enterprise *nix staff are not
all familiar with HTTP, but many of them are familiar with NFS due to
it's long history.

As you've also pointed out, enterprises commonly deploy NAS solutions
like NetApp for shared storage.  NetApp filers serve over NFS (by
default), CIFS (with appropriate licensing), iSCSI (with appropriate
licensing), and only recently (again with licensing) over HTTP.

These NetApp filers are expensive and *optimised* for NFS (with higher
performance than most chunky *nix boxes :/ ).  Use of NFS in these
enterprises is increasing if anything because it works well. ;)

Anyway, while I don't think your preference for HTTP is wrong, I do
think trying to remove someone else's preference is.

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

--
Salasaga  -  Open Source eLearning IDE