[rhelv6-beta-list] My first experiences with RHEL6 beta

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Thu Jun 10 13:33:21 UTC 2010

John Summerfield wrote:
> When I do want swap, I usually want a swap file, not a
> swap partition.  Swap files are more flexible, they can
> be created and dispensed with at will.  Its a minor task
> to add a swap file, provided only that disk space is
> available. It's even easier to dispense with swap and
> assign the recovered space to other tasks.

Most of this argument is mitigated thanx to volume management
(i.e., LVM).

As far as swap file v. swap partition, that goes into the same
category of filesystem free reservations, segmentation of
filesystems, etc...  You are free to prefer what you wish, but
"best common practices" of 40 years of POSIX/POSIX-like
implementations tend to favor some sound reasons why we have
such things as:
- swap partitions
- filesystem free reserevations
- segmentation of filesystems
- etc...

And, again, liberal usage of LVM tends to make most arguments
on the matter quite moot in "Enterprise" Linux.  My $0.02.

--
Bryan J  Smith             Professional, Technical Annoyance
Linked Profile:           http://www.linkedin.com/in/bjsmith