[rhelv6-beta-list] Can RHEL6 installer align the disk partition with 4k-sector or raid stripe size?

Bryan J. Smith thebs413 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 10 23:10:24 UTC 2010

> When I did the install, I *did* have the installer remove all existing
> partitions on the disk, so that could have fixed the old partition table.
> If I had not done that, it wouldn't surprise me to see /dev/sda1 still
> start at LBA 63 (from the previous RHEL 5 installation).

Removing the old partition table does _not_ necessarily change the
_existing_ geometry.  I'm sure this is done for "safety" with how
the system might be presenting the geometry, the same geometry is
re-used.  I'd bet on it.  One can force Anaconda to use a geometry
though, which would solve the issue.

Best yet is to use the disk vendor's tool.  ;)

As far as documentation on the matter, these are issues with the PC and
other OSes.  These are not Linux details.  The myriad of issues that
have come about from endless geometry assumptions/presentations by both
PC firmware (let alone BIOS Int13h Disk Services itself), and Windows,
is a long history of agony and pain.

Only GPT will put an end to this suffering legacy.  ;)