[rhelv6-beta-list] My first experiences with RHEL6 beta

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Tue Jun 15 00:22:27 UTC 2010

Jonathan S Billings wrote:

> Swap improves performance on a system, due to the way the Linux memory
> manager works.  Swap partitions are faster than swap files, and less
> likely to be lost, corrupted or removed by accident.

The performance claim has not been true for some time,  I think as far
back as 2.4.

> If you actually have problems with how swap is responding, you might
> benefit from experimenting with the vm.swappiness sysctl, although I've
> found the default value (60) to be good enough for most cases.

I have no problem with how swap behaves, I simply have no need for swap
at all on some of my systems.

Ponder a SOHO environment, which is the kind of setup I handle these
days. If a Pentium IV with 1 Gbyte of RAM and 2 Gbytes of swap will do
the job, how much better would a system based on intel (or equivalent
from AMD) i5 and 4 Gbytes of RAM do the same job.

RAM for a typical SOHO system costs less than the time to acquire it and
install it. The difference in cost is simply not relevant.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait