[rhelv6-beta-list] My first experiences with RHEL6 beta

Jonathan S Billings jsbillin at umich.edu
Tue Jun 15 13:12:11 UTC 2010

On 06/15/2010 08:22 AM, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
>> > When I spoke of memory being expensive compared to disk I
>> > was speaking of how resources are limited on a system hosting
>> > one or more virtual machines ...
> Theoretical meta-discussions are entertaining, but ultimately help
> few people with real systems.  Real systems really differ.  ;)

I don't know what you mean about theoretical meta-discussions.

Perhaps I'm being unclear.  The original post talked about avoiding
using swap in a virtual machine.  I suggested that in a situation where
you were running virtual machines, it costs more (in terms of limited
resources) to add more memory to that virtual machine than it does to
add storage.  It makes sense to add swap to a virtual machine, simply
because the cost is low and the reward is better performance for the
memory you do allocate.

--
Jonathan Billings <jsbillin at umich.edu>
College of Engineering - CAEN - Unix and Linux Support