[rhelv6-beta-list] My first experiences with RHEL6 beta

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Tue Jun 15 14:37:18 UTC 2010

On Tue, 6/15/10, Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith at ieee.org> wrote:
> So whether you create a swap slice (partition) or a swap file,
> you should _not_ change it after you do.

That should read (to be more clear), "you should _not_ change the
swap file after you do, just as you cannot change the swap slice
(partition)."  Now that's ignoring LVM and other facilities here
in the case of the swap slice, of course (going back to my prior
comment that LVM makes this whole discussion moot).

> In the case of a swap file, you should wholly re-create it,
> and ensure it is contiguous (or at least only fragmented
> into a few, large chunks).

In other words, remove and re-create it just like a swap slice
(partition).  Of course, it could be created fragmented and non-
contiguous when you do.