[rhelv6-beta-list] Volume management with btrfs (and LVM) -- WAS: My first experiences with RHEL6 beta

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Wed Jun 16 15:34:56 UTC 2010

Once upon a time, Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith at ieee.org> said:
> > - Lack of advanced tools: Bryan mentioned moving PEs
> > around, but right now that's a PITA.  If you want to "defrag"
> > your LVs,
>
> Defragmentation is a function of the filesystem and, just like
> resizing the filesystem, have nothing to do with LVM or volume
> management.  This is the same on _all_ OSes.  ;)

You mis-understand: I mean defragmenting the PEs in your LVs.  If you
have LV#1 followed by LV#2 followed by LV#3, and then you extend LV#2
into free space after LV#3, you may want to move the PEs around such
that all of LV#2's PEs are contiguous again (e.g. for performance).

AFAIK the only way to do that today is to have another PV in the VG and
move LVs back and forth.
--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>