[rhelv6-list] selinux (not quite) disabled?

Marti, Robert RJM002 at shsu.edu
Fri Dec 3 12:34:52 UTC 2010

Right. I've got it enabled on my desktop and laptops. On servers though...

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 3, 2010, at 5:08 AM, "John Haxby" <john.haxby at gmail.com<mailto:john.haxby at gmail.com>> wrote:

On 3 December 2010 00:59, Marti, Robert <<mailto:RJM002 at shsu.edu>RJM002 at shsu.edu<mailto:RJM002 at shsu.edu>> wrote:
SELinux scares people, to put it simply. Instead of fixing thinks to work with it, it gets disabled so no one has to deal with it. I'd rather fix it, but the normal complaint is lack of time to do it right. I normally set it to permissive mode and make a note to come back and address the issues later. So far later hasn't come.

This is an argument I have sympathy with.

However, just short of three years ago I decided enough was enough and I was going to get to grips with this thing on my laptop.  So I left selinux enabled.when I installed whatever was the current Fedora at the time.

As I recall, the only problem I had was with the web server I was running(*)   Fixing that was a matter of ten minutes between me and google.   Since that time I've picked up other selinux stuff incrementally — I'm far from being an expert but I'm not afraid of selinux any more and I can make use of it after a fashion.   (Fedora 14 has a problem with some 32 bit apps and selinux but I can live without dropbox for the moment.)

jch

* yes, on a laptop: you have problem with that? :-)