[rhelv6-list] Setup for SSSD winbind

John E. Richards richards at mailbox.sc.edu
Fri Dec 3 23:40:00 UTC 2010

(sorry about the previous post; I forgot to delete all the other part of the
thread)

I am trying to setup winbind for RHEL6.  In RHEL5 I used the
system-config-authentication GUI and it worked fine.  I also tweaked the
nssswitch.conf and smb.conf for other configurations, but the GUI setup
worked without doing so.

I have tried the GUI for RHEL6 and it appears to work; and the computer can
join the domain.  However, I cannot get user information from the ADS
domain; wbinfo says it is not found; cannot log onto the computer with the
ADS username/password. I have also used the authconfig command as it worked
with RHEL 5.

My ADS server is W 2008 server.

I understand that the sssd service now does the work of the services in
RHEL5.  However, I cannot quite figure out how to use it.  I have tried to
follow the deployment guide, but cannot follow it.

If someone can point me to the tasks I need to do in RHEL6 I would
appreciate it.  I would like to move to the SSSD if that is necessary.

John

John E. Richards
Carolina Distinguished Professor
Department of Psychology