[rhelv6-list] [Solved] weird clock applet question on locations

Gary Gatling gsgatlin at ncsu.edu
Tue Dec 7 22:50:32 UTC 2010

Hello,

I did a little bit more digging and think I've found a solution to my
question. (thank you diff) I wanted to share with the list in case other
people want to customize their GNOME panel to have the local weather for
all users. In my earlier email last week I left out some steps.

To customize the panel for all users on a RHEL 6 system, do a fresh
install.

Log in to your fresh install as a regular user. Customize your panel how
you would like it for all users. For example, at my site I add back the
OpenOffice Writer, Impress, and Calc launchers. I also add a terminal
launcher since most users are programmers. Line up everything how
you want it to look on the panel.

To customize the weather icon and location, next to locations click on the
edit buton. Click on "Add" and add your city. If its a known city, it will
automagically fill in the latitude and longitude for you. If its unknown
I'm guessing you might need to type them in... I'm pretty sure you can add
as many cities as you want if you need more than one.

Next Click on the "set" buttton to make whatever the default location. You
will be prompted for the root password.

Next run this command as your regular user:

gconftool-2 --dump /apps/panel > my-panel-setup.entries

Next you need to edit this file. If there are any icons you added to the
panel they will have names like object_0, object_1, etc. Find the lines
that are like:

<key>objects/object_0/position</key>

and change numbers like

<int>234</int>

into

<int>4</int>

under "position" keys because you want relative positions rather than
absolute pixel locations. (1, 2,and 3 are used already. 1 is the browser,
2 is the email launcher, and 3 is the new GNote app)

Also, the "set" button will alter the contents of /etc/sysconfig/clock.
For example, on my systems it changed from:

ZONE="America/New York"

ZONE="America/New_York"

So make a note of what that got changed to at this point.

On the machines you want to clone the panel to, run this command as root:

gconftool-2 --direct --config-source xml:readwrite:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults --load my-panel-setup.entries

Also, make sure that the file /etc/sysconfig/clock gets changed to the
proper value. ( like sed 's at New York at New_York@' ) Now everyone logging
into that machine will have the custom panel with the weather and
temperature displayed for the local location you set up. :) I'm using
Raleigh, NC. since thats where all our labs are.

Also, here are some useful gconf strings I have found to change some
settings back if you prefer the way the panel looked /acted in older RHEL
/ fedoras...

/apps/panel/toplevels/top_panel/padding
/apps/panel/toplevels/bottom_panel/padding

I have set these to 2 so there isn't so much white space between the
launchers and stuff. Useful if your users add lots of launchers and
screen real estate it low.

/apps/metacity/general/num_workspaces

You can increase this if the 2 that are defaults in RHEL 6 aren't enough
for the default users. It was 4 in RHEL 5.

Cheers,

Gary Gatling      | ITECS Systems