[rhelv6-list] rebuilt package not showing selected for update

John Haxby john.haxby at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 10:33:16 UTC 2010

On 10 December 2010 00:24, Collins, Kevin [BEELINE] <KCollins at chevron.com>wrote:

> Yeah, I thought about that but then if an update comes out from RedHat
> with the same revision, I would likely not see that one (which I would
> want to see, so I can rebuild it to get any bug fixes).

If I want to make sure I get the new release from Red Hat (or anywhere else
for that matter) I change the release from (in this case) "2%{dist}" to
either "2.0.1%{dist}" or "2%{dist}.0.1".  It's possible, but highly
unlikely, that Red Hat would release a new version that is the same as
either of those: they might go for "2.1%{dist}" or simply rebuild the same
version for RHEL7 (that'll get the google searchers wondering).

I've never come across a case where yum would use the build date or similar
to determine a package is newer: the underlying RPM stuff uses only the
epoch, release and version doesn't it?

jch