[rhelv6-list] SSSD and LDAP takes too long?

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Fri Dec 10 16:28:27 UTC 2010

I am trying to set up SSSD for LDAP access (since that appears to be the
way forward).  One thing I notice though is that lookups for users not
in the cache take too long.  An "unknown user" takes .013 seconds, but
looking up a valid user for the first time takes .4-.6 seconds (I'm
testing with "time id <user>").

I cranked up the debugging, but I don't see any obvious errors, and the
debug log timestamps are in seconds (so I can't see what took the time).

I straced the backend process, and I see it calling fsync on the cache
database file multiple times, and that sometimes takes as much as .1
seconds.  I tried disabling caching, but (a) it doesn't appear to actual
disable (the files are still there, and the cache records are still
written), and (b) lookups take even longer (.7-1.1 seconds).

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>