[rhelv6-list] rebuilt package not showing selected for update

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Fri Dec 10 17:02:30 UTC 2010

On Friday, December 10, 2010 11:30:46 am Greg_Swift at aotx.uscourts.gov wrote:
> rhelv6-list-bounces at redhat.com wrote on 12/10/2010 10:15:16 AM:
> > 'EPOCH' is the nuclear sledgehammer in the RPM version scheme. As
> > ugly as a solution using EPOCH to force newest version is, it works.
> > And it has been used before, by Red Hat even, over the years.

> and it is a sledge hammer.  I've had instances where we were unable to
> update to newer packages because we put out a single package with an epoch,
> and the newer package didn't have one.  Not sure if that was a bug or
> intended, nor if it is the same on RHEL 6,  but it is something to watch
> for.

The other thought is renaming the package itself, and hard coding a provides that matches of the other package, with a conflicts: against the other package.  Either way, once you commit to maintaining a custom package you are indeed committed to maintaining a custom package.  Changing the name is less nuclear than EPOCH, but not by much.