[rhelv6-list] rebuilt package not showing selected for update

Akemi Yagi amyagi at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 17:29:11 UTC 2010

On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 9:00 AM, Collins, Kevin [BEELINE]
<KCollins at chevron.com> wrote:

> I may just have to change my strategy. Your sub-point release idea is
> probably the next best answer.

> If anyone else knows more about how the packages are selected or identified
> for update, I would appreciate it.

yum/rpm will find the latest version and install it. You can tell
which version is newer by running the rpmdev-vercmp script. It is part
of the rpmdevtools package (available from EPEL for el5, should work
under el6).

For example:

$ rpmdev-vercmp xyzzy-2.1-1.el5 xyzzy-2.1-1.el5.custom
0:xyzzy-2.1-1.el5.custom is newer

Your .custom version is newer than the distro one.

$ rpmdev-vercmp xyzzy-2.1-2.el5 xyzzy-2.1-1.el5.custom
0:xyzzy-2.1-2.el5 is newer

The distro has been updated, now it is newer.

Akemi