[rhelv6-list] upgrade from RHEL 5.5

Brian Wheeler bdwheele at indiana.edu
Thu Nov 11 21:22:53 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-11-11 at 13:04 -0600, Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, Brian Wheeler <bdwheele at indiana.edu> said:
> > Hmm.  I did a 4->5 upgrade a year or so ago.  I'm pretty sure I did it
> > via the upgrade option instead of an "install-on-top".
>
> Red Hat doesn't support in-place upgrades between major versions.
> However, anaconda is still supposed to offer the option.

adding "upgradeany" to the boot command line recognizes my RHEL 5.5 disk
and lets me do the upgrade.

Its a shame about non-supported in-place upgrades, though.  I am just
finishing up a migration from old (real) hardware to new (virtual)
hardware and I really don't know how I'm going to pull off another
migration without really getting on my users' nerves.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to "easily" upgrade while keeping all
of my settings and still keeping a supported system?

Brian