[rhelv6-list] upgrade from RHEL 5.5

gregwm rhelv6-beta-list at greatlakedata.com
Fri Nov 12 00:40:41 UTC 2010

> Anyone have any suggestions on how to "easily" upgrade while keeping all
> of my settings and still keeping a supported system?

it's a crap shoot, might be easy, might just not work, depends on lots of
things, not too surprising they don't support it.  notwithstanding all the
newfangled virtualisation, what i still do is a fresh install in a fresh
volume, so i can boot either, and run the other in a chroot, with the
original home directories available to both (and --rbind's of proc, dev, and
tmp).  that really helps when the need arises to explore and understand the
differences.  sometimes it's easier to keep on maintaining the hybrid
environment for awhile while awaiting the spare time to grind through
certain config upgrades.